Health Salon

Your Source for Cutting Edge Information in Alternative Health Care thats hard to find.

  • Subscribe

    • AddThis Feed Button


Seeing a Specialist for High Cholesterol

31st May 2009 by Carol Posted in Uncategorized

Most of the time, family doctors monitor people’s cholesterol on a regular basis and they prescribe the drugs that lower cholesterol. For most people, this procedure works. They get on the pills, make a few recommended lifestyle changes, and find that their cholesterol has gone down to a safe range.

Some people can have the healthiest diet possible and still have high cholesterol. Or they can be taking all the meds their family doctor prescribes and even exercising regularly but still at least one element of their cholesterol is too high. That is when it might be good to see a specialist in cholesterol, a lipidologist.

The lipidologist is a regular doctor who has chosen to get extra training just on cholesterol and its effects on the body. In order to be certified as a lipidologist, the doctor takes a test to make sure he or she knows the proper material for the specialty. This specialty is a new one in the medical field, so not every family doctor you talk to will know a lipidologist.

A lipidologist will monitor your cholesterol levels among other health factors. He or she will also prescribe drugs to lower your cholesterol that are less well-known but very effective (such as niacin or prescription-grade fish oil) and will have a discussion with you about lifestyle factors.

Cholesterol is one of those sneaky medical problems. Fat of various types floats around in your bloodstream and sometimes builds up on your artery walls. You have no idea what is going on or that you are heading for a problem until you experience a major, life threatening, difficulty such as a clog. Given how wonderful bad-for-you food tastes, it is a more than just a good idea to get your cholesterol checked; it could save your life. And if it is too high and you and your doctor cannot get it to a safe level, look into seeing a lipidologist.

Related Posts:

Comments are closed.